The prize when arriving at the summit of Mt. Bakkanosi is a fantastic view down to the UNESCO Protected Nærøyfjord, 1398 meters below you.
The hike to Mt. Bakkanosi is long, and the trail is not marked. You should be an experienced hiker, the weather should be nice, and you should know how to use map and compass. Map to use: Nærøyfjorden 1:50 000.
The start at Jordalen
Drive the road to Jordalen in Voss Municipality and park the car at Jordalen School. The hike starts at the scool, then follow the road (only a few meters) to the other side of the Slettedalselvi River and then follow the tractor road that starts by the main road.
The Slettedalen Valley
The hike is 9-10 kilometer long (one way) from the start at Jordalen (560 mas) to the summit at Mt. Bakkanosi (1398 mas). The first 2 -3 kilometers are along a steep tractor road to Slettedalsstølen Mountain Pasture (860 mas). Then a 3 kilometer gentle trail along the Slettedalen Valley before the steeper part up to Lake Slettedalstjørni and to Lyngsskardet (1327 mas).
The view down to the Nærøyfjord
Here you have the first glimpse of the Nærøyfjord. Then gentle and rocky trail towards Bakkanosi and the great view down to the Nærøyfjord. The trail is not marked, it can be challenging to find the trail in the upper rocky part. Try to follow the cairns, they show the way to the summit at Bakkanosi, 1398 mas.
The return is the same trail back to Jordalen.
IMPORTANT NOTICE – Hiking to Mt. Bakkanosi
- Steep edges down towards the Nærøyfjord at the summit, keep safe distance to the edge!
- The hike to Mt. Bakkanosi is 20 kilometers in total, and normal time to use is approximately 8 hours. It is a challenging hike.
- Season: July – September, depending of the amount of snow in the mountains.
- Use map and compass. Map to use: Nærøyfjorden 1:50 000.
- You should be an experienced hiker, and the weather should be nice.
- The weather can change dramatically in the mountains. This is why you have to follow the Norwegian Mountain Code when hiking in the Norwegian Mountains, it can change from summer and sunny weather to winter and frost in minutes.
Fjord Tours: Norway in a Nutshell
Fjord Tours: Plan and book fjord travel, accommodation and activities
Go Fjords: Big and Small Fjord Experiences
Fjord Pass: Great Discounts on Activities and Attractions in the Fjords
Visit Norway: Official page for Norway
Fjord Norway: Official page for Fjord Norway
Hiking to Mt. Bakkanosi – Map Overview