Magic Sognefjord is the ultimate fjord experience in Norway. You will explore the Sognefjord and it´s branches and the beautiful nature surrounding these magic fjords.
This will be the adventure of your lifetime. You can start and end the trip in Flåm by the Aurlandsfjord, and you should use at least 14 days to see it all. You can also spend shorter time and just see and experience parts of this great fjord adventure. The Magic Sognefjord Map gives you detailed information about what to see and do and where to stay in the different fjords.
Magic Sognefjord Itinerary
The links below will help you to plan your fjord holiday, book hotels, transportation, adventures and guiding. All links are suggestions only. You must contact the different providers yourself for appointments.
You will experience the Sognefjord with it´s branches Aurlandsfjord, Nærøyfjord, Årdalsfjord, Lustrafjord and Fjærlandsfjord on this adventure. See below for more information about the different fjords and what to see and do. This Magic Sognefjord Adventure starts in Flåm, but you can customize your own itinerary and start where you want.
Book accommodation, transportation and adventures well in advance (preferably book the year before) to be sure everything is vacant. We recommend you to stay a minimum of two nights in each hotel.
These accommodations have different standards, sizes and offers, but common to them all is that it is pleasant to stay there and the places are surrounded by beautiful and wild nature.
The best way to travel between the branches in the Sognefjord is by RIB-boats. It is expensive, but if you are a large group it will be more affordable. The Magic Sognefjord route can also be travelled by car or bus.
- Luxury Yacht, Speed Boat or RIB-boat from Amazing Fjords.
- Or you can choose a combination of different types of boats.
Amazing Fjords can help you to plan, book hotels, transportation, adventures and guiding. The Sognefjord is their own backyard, and they can plan the perfect holiday for you.
The Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord in Sogn are two of the worlds most beautiful and dramatic fjords. The name Nærøyfjord origin from the norse god ‘Njord’, the God of the Seafarer and the sea. The Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord are two of many fjordarms in the 204 km long Sognefjord. In 2005, the Nærøyfjord became a part of UNESCO’s World Heritage together with the Geirangerfjord.
Travel to Flåm by the Aurlandsfjord – from Oslo or Bergen
- Hotels: Hotel Amerikalinjen (Oslo) and Hotel Havnekontoret (Bergen) are two great hotels in Oslo and Bergen. You should stay at least two nights so you can see the beauty of these cities and what they have to offer.
- Train: You go by train from Oslo or Bergen to Myrdal Station. Then Flåm Railway, one of the worlds most beautiful railways, to Flåm. This is where your Fjord Adventure starts and ends. You can order tickets all the way to Flåm at Vy.no. This may also be the return, from Flåm and back to Oslo or Bergen.
- Boat: From Bergen you can take a Fjord Cruise on the Sognefjord to Flåm.
- Car: You can drive from Oslo or Bergen to Flåm.
- Plane: You can fly to Sogndal Airport and then go by car or bus from the airport to Flåm. These are the Bus time tables for Indre Sogn.
Flåm and Aurland by the Aurlandsfjord – Where to stay
- Fretheim Hotel in Flåm, at the inner part of the Aurlandsfjord.
- Flåm Marina in Flåm, at the inner part of the Aurlandsfjord.
- Flåmsbrygga Hotel in Flåm, at the inner part of the Aurlandsfjord.
- Vangsgaarden Gjestegiveri in Aurland, the inner part of the Aurlandsfjord.
- 2/92 Aurland in Aurland, the inner part of the Aurlandsfjord.
Adventures in the Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord
- Fjord Safari RIB-Boat and Guiding.
- Fjord Cruise on the Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord.
- Flåm Railway in the Flåm Valley.
- Flåm Zipline. Can be combined with Flåm Railway and bike down Flåmsdalen.
- Fjord Cruise combined with a Hike along the Nærøyfjord.
- Biking Rallarvegen from Finse to Flåm.
- Hike the Aurlandsdalen Valley.
- Hike to Hovdungo above the Aurlandsfjord.
- See the view towards the Aurlandsfjord from Stegastein Viewpoint.
- Drive Aurlandsfjellet National Tourist Route and see Borgund Stave Church.
- Visit the idyllic Undredal Fjord Village and see Undredal Stave Church.
- Kayaking the Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord.
- Rimstigen hike above the Nærøyfjord.
- Hike in the high mountains to Bakkanosi above the Nærøyfjord.
- Visit the Viking Village Njardarheimr in Gudvangen.
Small idyllic fjord villages are located along the Årdalsfjord, squeezed between steep mountains, waterfalls, rivers and the fjord. The abandoned fjord village Indre Ofredal is one of these villages. Around the middle of the 19th century, a sawmill, mill, boathouse, kitchen-building and forge were built at Indre Ofredal. The old sawmill at Indre Ofredal is part of the history of Norway as an industry nation.
Travel to Indre Ofredal by the Årdalsfjord
- If you want to travel to the next fjord, the Årdalsfjord, by RIB-Boat, you should book a private tour at Fjord Safari. Remember to book well in advance (preferably book the year before) to be sure the RIB-Boat is vacant.
- You can also go by car or bus to the Årdalsfjord and the other branches in the Sognefjord. Note: There is no Bus-connection to Indre Ofredal, only to Årdalstangen and Seim. From Årdalstangen or Seim to Indre Ofredal, you need to order a Taxi. These are the Bus time tables for Indre Sogn.
Indre Ofredal by the Årdalsfjord – Where to stay
- A small cafeteria and accommodation in the old restored Boat House at Indre Ofredal, down by the Årdalsfjord.
Adventures in the Årdalsfjord
The Lustrafjord and the Luster area is one of the most beautiful spots in Norway, where the fjord meets the top of Norway with it´s numerous mountains and glaciers. Here you have the oldest historical hotel in Norway, the beautiful Walaker Hotel at Solvorn. From Solvorn you can take the small ferry across the Lustrafjord from to Urnes and visit the UNESCO-Protected Urnes Stave Church.
Travel to the Lustrafjord
- If you want to travel to the next fjord, the Lustrafjord, by RIB-Boat, you should book a private tour at Fjord Safari in Flåm or Adventure Tours in Skjolden. Remember to book well in advance (preferably book the year before) to be sure the RIB-Boat is vacant.
- You can also go by car or bus to the Lustrafjord and the other branches in the Sognefjord. Note: There is no Bus-connection from Indre Ofredal, only to Årdalstangen and Seim. From Indre Ofredal to Seim or Årdalstangen, you need to order a Taxi. These are the Bus time tables for Indre Sogn.
The Lustrafjord – Where to stay
- Skjolden Hotel at Skjolden, at the inner part of the Lustrafjord.
- Walaker Hotel at Solvorn, in the middle of the Lustrafjord.
- Eplet Hostel at Solvorn, in the middle of the Lustrafjord.
- Tørvis Hotel at Marifjøra, in the Middle of the Lustrafjord.
- Nes Gard at Høyheimsvik, in the middle of the Lustrafjord.
Adventures in the Lustrafjord area
- Adventure Tours RIB-Boat and Guiding in Skjolden.
- Jostedal Breførarlag Glacier Guiding in Jostedal.
- Kayaking with guide on the Lustrafjord.
- RIB Boat on the Lustrafjord and hike to Feigumfossen Waterfall.
- Hiking to Svarthiller and Mt Molden.
- Biking along the Lustrafjord.
- Hiking from Tungestølen to Austerdalsbreen Glacier.
- Hiking or biking the Mørkridsdalen Valley.
- Drive Sognefjellet Mountain Road and see the glaciers and the top of Norway.
- Kayaking the Lustrafjord and Sognefjord.
- Glacier Hike on the Nigardsbreen Glacier in Jostedal.
- Hiking along Bergset Valley to Bergsetbreen Glacier in Jostedal.
- Kayaking Lake Nigardsbrevatnet or Lake Styggevatnet in Jostedal.
- Ferry across the Lustrafjord and walk up to see the beautiful fjord village Urnes and the UNESCO Protected Urnes Stave Church.
- Visit N.H. Lerums Saftfabrik at Sørheim by the Lustrafjord.
Fjærland is a picturesque village surrounded by fjord, mountains and glaciers. This place is so beautiful that it is almost unreal. It has it´s own museum, the Norwegian Glacier Museum. And Fjærland is also named The Norwegian Book Town due to all the bookstores in the town. It has a total of 2.5 miles with shelves filled with books, new and used. The smallest bookstore is a book stand by the road. Based on trust, you can pick a book and leave some money in a box.
Travel to Fjærland by the Fjærlandsfjord
- If you want to travel to the next fjord, the Fjærlandsfjord, by RIB-Boat, you should book a private tour at Adventure Tours in Skjolden or Balestrand Fjord Adventure at Balestrand. Remember to book well in advance (preferably book the year before) to be sure the RIB-Boat is vacant.
- From Bergen you can take a full day trip with a fjord cruise on the Sognefjord to Fjærland and see the glaciers. Then fjord cruise back to Bergen.
- From Bergen you can join an action packed 2-day tour with fjordcruise on the Sognefjord to Fjærland and see the glaciers. The return is with boat on the Fjærlandsfjord and Sognefjord to Vik and back to Bergen via Vikafjellet mountain pass.
- You can also go by car or bus to the Fjærlandsfjord and the other branches in the Sognefjord. These are the Bus time tables for Indre Sogn.
Fjærland by the Fjærlandsfjord – Where to stay
- Fjærland Fjordstove, Historic Hotel in Fjærland.
Adventures in Fjærland
- Kayaking with guide on the Fjærlandsfjord.
- Guided hike up to Flatbrehytta Cabin by the Flatbreen Glacier.
- Swim in the cold Fjærlandsfjord and then enjoy the Floating Sauna.
- Guided hike to Mundal Valley in Fjærland.
- Explore the Norwegian Book Town.
- Visit the Norwegian Glacier Museum in Fjærland.
In the middle of the Sognefjord, where the fjord is at its widest and the mountains starts to rise, you’ll find Balestrand, an idyllic village down by the fjord. Balestrand is one of the first places the foreign tourists visited when they discovered Norway in the mid-19th century.
Due to the beautiful nature, the wild mountains and the location down by the fjord, Balestrand became a favorite place to visit among artists and the Norwegian and foreign society from the end of the 19th century until the beginning of World War I.
Travel to Balestrand
- If you want to travel to the next fjord, to Balestrand by the Sognefjord, by RIB-Boat, you should book a private tour at Balestrand Fjord Adventure at Balestrand. Remember to book well in advance (preferably book the year before) to be sure the RIB-Boat is vacant.
- You can also go by car or bus to Balestrand and the other branches in the Sognefjord. These are the Bus time tables for Indre Sogn. These are the Bus time tables for Midtre Sogn.
Balestrand by the Sognefjord – Where to stay
Adventures in Balestrand and the Sognefjord
- RIB Boat on the Sognefjord to beautiful Finnabotn.
- Join a fisherman and experience fjord fishing on the Sognefjord
- Kayaking with guide on the Sognefjord.
- Hiking in the mountains around Balestrand, Mt Keipen and Raudmelen are two iconic hikes.
- Ciderhuset Restaurant and Cider Tasting.
- Driving Gaularfjellet Mountain Road.
- Your Magic Sognefjord Adventure is now coming to an end. If you want to go back to Flåm, where it all started, by RIB-Boat on the Sognefjord, you should book a private tour at Balestrand Fjord Adventure at Balestrand or at Fjord Safari in Flåm.
- Remember to book well in advance (preferably book the year before) to be sure the RIB-Boat is vacant.
- You can also go by car or bus back to Flåm. These are the Bus time tables for Indre Sogn. These are the Bus time tables for Midtre Sogn.
On this adventure, you will see the best of what Norway and the fjords can offer. Travelling between these fine hotels, on the Sognefjord and it´s branches, is probably the main attraction in itself. This fjord adventure can be done all year, and all four seasons have their own charm. Note that not all of the listed hotels and adventures are open during winter.
Winter: Additional activities during winter are Randonée Alpine Ski Touring and Snow Shoe Hiking to mountains with fantastic fjord view. Some of the summer adventures are not possible during winter. And some of the hotels are also closed during winter.
IMPORTANT! The weather can change dramatically in the fjords and mountains in Norway. This is why you have to follow the Norwegian Mountain Code when exploring the Norwegian fjords and Mountains. It can change from summer and sunny weather to winter and frost in minutes, and you should bring clothes and shoes for all kind of weather. Because in Norway and the fjords you can experience all four seasons in one day.
Magic Sognefjord – Useful Links
Tailormade Magic Sognefjord Holiday with Amazing Fjords